Weekly Review – Week Ending 9/20/2013
Couple of changes to the format this week. That’s why this report is out a little later than normal. Well, that and I was having a little trouble with my pivot table report, but I got it worked out.
Format change #1 – Moved the data table closer to the top.
Format change #2 – Adding some thoughts on the analysis of the data table and what it means. Maybe discussion about changes to goals as a result of the data.
Goals – It’s hard to keep work within limits when you have to travel, but I generally make good use of the travel time. Sleep has been going pretty well lately, averaging only slightly above my goal.
Top 5 – Beyond sleep and work, personal routines was next with 1.67 hours per day. This is an interesting category that has some built in variability because of the way I include meals in it. I will define the types of meals to show you what I mean.
Eating at home; Personal – Routines
Eating out with family; Discretionary – Family
Eating out by myself while on work related travel; Personal – Routines
Eating out with coworkers or friends while on work related travel; either Business – Connect or Discretionary – Social
So with travel where I ate out at least a few times by myself, which adds to Personal – Routines.
Other observations on the Top 5 include the nearly 10 hours spent learning German. I’ve been wondering why the now several week long fascination with brushing up on my German has continued. I think it’s a combination of a lack of intellectual stimulation in other areas of my life. Learning something challenging fills that gap.
Finally, Personal – Run has been on the rise for two reasons. Marathon training is picking up so my miles and hence my time has increased. The other reason is I am participating in more group runs or trail runs when I can which means driving somewhere first, waiting for others to arrive and some social chatting after the run. I count all of that time, including the drive back home, as part of the Personal – Run. So I expect that category to continue to gradually increase over the next several months.
Other things to note: College football is back. My TV watching time is generally less than an hour a week, but for the next few months it will be about 4 to 5 hours per week while I watch my Texas A&M Aggies and Johnny Manziel make a run at all kinds of history.
On to the summary.
Blog Posts This Week – Personal (1), links follow. Work (0)
Accomplishments for this week
– CMMI Projects – Completed Integrated Work Management (IWM) for Tiered Accountability pilot project including a trip to Dallas to visit three Raytheon locations for benchmarking and debrief, I planned and facilitated the event and it turned out very well, big success
– Still on my learning German this week. Still in the top 5.
– Using three tools to improve my German language skills. 1. VociTeach Android App. 2. http://www.Memrise.com 3. http://www.duolingo.com
– Also checked in with my Google+ German community a couple of times.
– Highlight of the week was a 14 mile negative split run with Mike and some of the Insane Tri group. I was planning on 7 at 8:45 pace and then 7 at 7:45 (marathon target pace). Ended up settling in to a 7:35 on the second 7 miles, 10 seconds under goal pace! Nice.
– Colin’s birthday party was a blast. That’s the bonfire picture above. Colin recited the entire poem The Cremation of Sam McGee to mine and everyone’s delight. Good stuff.
– Checking in on www.ninoff.com less frequently, but still interested in where this goes.
– Took advantage of travel last week to do some business social networking.
Goals and Plans for next week
– Stay engaged and keep from getting too frustrated with the velocity and direction of my work project.
– Use VociTeach, Memrise and Duolingo for German language. Also spend time in Google+ German community posting and responding to posts.
– Get in a group run with Colin and Dave at Choctaw Trails. Could become a regular early Sunday routine, I hope.
– I’ll be in Dallas all week, so I’ll be building work networks during our CMMI project workshop.
- Weekly Review – Week Ending 9/13/2013 (patthomasson.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Review – Week Ending 9/6/2013 (patthomasson.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Review – Week Ending 8/30/2013 (patthomasson.wordpress.com)